Description of Historic Site: Built in 1873-74 by Roland Barnard Warner Sutton purchased the home for his family in 1877 after he and his family moved to Saugatuck in 1875 so he could take the position as principal of the Union School. In 1878 Mr. Sutton was appointed U.S. Commercial Agent at Matamoros, Mexico. In 1883 He was appointed consul general for northern Mexico, and in 1889 was transferred to Nuevo Laredo where he served until 1893. He then operated an international law practice in Washington D.C. The Suttons continued to use this house as a summer home when they lived in Mexico and Washington D.C. The Suttons named the home “The Beeches” and was owned until Warner’s death in 1913. The home was saved from demolition in 1986, it was then the house went under extensive renovations adding an addition. In 1990 the home opened as the Beechwood Manor Inn Bed and Breakfast. It still operates as a B & B.
Address: 736 Pleasant St. Saugatuck, MI