Description of Historic Site: Singapore was founded and created as lumber export town in 1836 located on Lake Michigan where the Kalamazoo river empties out. In 1871 due to the brutal winters and the great fire that wiped out most of Holland Singapore residence evacuated as the blaze came close to destroying the trees on which their town became so viable. The town consisted of three mills, two hotels, several general stores, and a renowned “Wild-Cat” bank. The city outshone their neighbors to the south “The Flats” as Saugatuck was known back then. When the community abandoned the town the shifting sand dunes buried the town.
Address: Butler Street at the Saugatuck Village Hall