Description of Historic Site: The council members of the newly incorporated village of Saugatuck pushed to build a new fire house, council chamber, hall, and lock up on Butler Street in 1879 when it was determined that the old fire house could not house the fire equipment. The building was completed in 1880 the builders of the new multipurpose building were mos H. Gardner, James G. Williams, and Ralph C. Brittain. The jail was moved to the building located on the first floor northwest corner. The council offices were located on the second floor which had to be entered from a set of outside steps. The outside steps were removed in 1908 and an internal staircase was put in. In 1926 the building was redesigned and renovated by local artist Carl Hoerman, who created the pillared entrance we see today. In 1929 a basement was dug and the jail was moved to the basement. Remains and burial articles from the Native Americans and early settlers were unearthed. In 1949 the jail moved to the public works building, in 1954 the fire department left after they built a new building, and eventually the police department opened up space in the public works building. In 1957 the building was remodeled to accommodate the city clerk’s office, Chamber of Commerce, restrooms, and lounge. In more recent years the police and jail had returned, the Chamber of Commerce left, and their office is now used by the local bus service the Interurban. Since 1988 little has been done to change the appearance of City Hall. The Douglas and Saugatuck police departments joined forces and moved to the Douglas Village Hall and the Interurban constructed their own building. Saugatuck City Hall is completely dedicated to the offices of the city manager, clerk/treasurer, assessor, and support staff. The building has been continuously used for 138 years.
Address: 102 Butler St Saugatuck, MI