Description of Historic Site: The Kirby house also known as the Old Grand Dame was purchased by Sarah M. Kirby in 1890. She purchased the property in her own name in a time where she couldn’t even vote yet. The Kirby house received a new lease on life when Sarah’s daughter Lois Faith Kirby Nevins, who was a nurse, turned the home into a community hospital for the Douglas-Saugatuck area from 1931-1957. Many of the local residence of the area were born in one of the rooms at the Kirby. Until 1983 the house had many different uses from a real estate office to an antique store. That same year the Konitos bought the house and turned into a bed and breakfast and in 1998 Ray Riker and Jim Gowran purchased the house and ran it as a bed an breakfast. In 2013 Jay Paul Deratany used the home as a base camp for the film “Saugatuck Cures”. Deratany fell in love with the home and purchased it. In March 2014 renovations began to turn the home into a modern feel while keeping architectural integrity. The home still operates as a bed and breakfast with an added restaurant and wine bar.
Address: 294 Center St. Douglas, MI
Website: www. thekirbyhotel.com