Description of Historic Site: Built in 1844 by Isaac Fairbanks for Rev. George Smith, a missionary to the Ottawa tribe lead by Chief Waukazoo was the very first house ever built in Holland, MI. Due to the small pox outbreak in 1848 Chief Waukazoo and Rev. Smith decided to move the tribe to Northport on the Leelanau Peninsula. Smith abandoned the house and a few years later Isaac Fairbanks bought the house. On the mission’s land was a school, church, and Native American homes. The home also housed A.C. Van Raalte for a time as he was getting settled in the city of Holland.
In 2003 Robert and Carole Pavloski bought the home and property and started restoration work on the home and out buildings. The homes interior was a blank slate, but all the original bones were there. This is a private home.
Address: 5298 40th Ave Holland, MI