Name of Historic Site: The Netherlands Museum
Description of Historic Site: The museum was originally home to Dr. Henry Kremers and his family. He commissioned local builder George Dalman to design and construct the home and in 1889 the house was completed with mostly locally sourced materials. The structure itself is a modified Elizabethan style. Dr. Kremers was a prominent doctor and surgeon for the city of Holland. He was actively involved in the community and was elected Holland’s Mayor in 1889. Dr. Kremers died in 1914, five years after his death his wife, Alice VanZwaluwenburg-Kremers, sold the house to the City of Holland to use as the city’s first hospital. The home and carriage house were reconstructed to house the patients and staff. The hospital started operations in 1919 and could house 22 patients. In 1928, due to the increase of patients Holland Hospital moved to a new location. The Knickerbocker Faternity of Hope College rented the building from 1929 to 1938. In 1940, the Netherlands Museum opened in the house after some renovations. In 1993, The city moved the museum into the Holland Post Office and the home sat empty. In 1995, the property was bought by Rein and Kay Wolfret and now operates as Centennial Inn.
Address: 8 E 12th St., Holland, MI
Phone Number: 616.355.0998