Name of Historic Site: Port Sheldon Informational Designation
Description of Historic Site: A group of Eastern leaders formed the Port Sheldon Land Company in 1835. The company bought six hundred acres for $900 to build a city. The company spent a fortune laying out and building up the city near pigeon creek. The first post office and the Ottawa house which was an elaborate hotel opened in 1838. The settlement failed and in the 1930’s strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry farmers moved to the area. The soil was perfect for growing these crops and the Port Sheldon area is mostly farm land to this present day.
Address: sign location is at Pigeon Lake 8 miles North of Holland