Name of Historic Site: Nathanial Robbins House
Description of Historic Site: Nathaniel Robbins V started out as a sail man with his dad until 1884 when he settled in Grand Haven. He joined the firm of H.L. Camberlain & Company, a coal and wood retailer in 1887 he became sole owner of the company. In 1891 he married Esther Savidge the daughter of a lumberman and businessman. The site where the current house is located stood a brick house known as the Vanderhoef house, the Robbins demolished the brick house and built the colonial revival house we see today. Nathaniel commissioned Baldus Pellegrom to help him construct the house. Construction of the home was completed in 1900 and cost the Robbins $25,000. The Robbins owned the home until 1940 after Nathanial’s death. The house was then owned by Gordon and Joan Laughead who owned the home for 50 years. After the death of Mrs. Laughead the house was bought by Laura and Ed Grafton who did extensive renovations and restoration on the home. In 2002, William and Linda Swano purchased the home and it is now a Financial office. The home is a three story colonial revival with a hipped roof and a finished basement.
Address: 20 South Fifth St., Grand Haven, MI (private business)