Name of Historic Site: Holland Old City Hall and Fire Station No. 2
Description of Historic Site: The city of Holland purchased this lot in 1882, the next year contractor James Huntley began construction of the fire hall after the city clerk and a special committee consulted with Grand Rapids firm of Robinson and Barnaby to design the structure. The building was completed in 1884, and housed Holland city offices and library until 1912 and served as a fire house until 1978. The solid brick structure reflects the need of “fire proof” construction following the fire of 1871 that devastated the city. The tower was designed to accommodate drying of 50-ft unfolded fire hoses. In 1983 the firehouse was rehabilitated into office space, the grooves in the engine house floor were filled in and the doors that were once replaced to accommodate trucks have now been restored.
Address: 106 E 8th St Holland, MI (Privately owned)