Holland City Greenhouse

Name of Historic Site:  Holland City Greenhouse

Description of Historic Site:  The Holland City Greenhouse is the only greenhouse in the state of Michigan that maintains a greenhouse solely to supply city plantings.  The greenhouse is set on a triangular lot bounded by State Street, West 20th Street, and Central Avenue. Units One and Two, built in 1911, are identical gable roofed, wood frame and glass structures. The poured concrete foundation is finished with stucco. The units have 42 rows of flat 16” x 24” glass forming the side wall (one row) and the roof. On the south side, the top row of panes open
as vents. The center unit (Unit Two) has the glass in the south facing roof replaced with a corrugated
semi-transparent plastic. Between the passageways connecting Units One and Two to Unit Three is a fish
tank that houses the lilypond goldfish over the winter. Unit Three, built in 1929, with the centered, double
door entrance stands eighteen feet tall. Unit Three has a middle section flanked by two equal sections
each containing 18 rows of glass panes, as well as an overhead door allowing for loading and unloading
of plants and supplies. Unit Three also features double entry doors facing Central Avenue, topped by a
gabled roof dormer and narrow sidelights. Unit Four, built in 1950, stands separate from the other three
units. The walls and roof contain 30 rows of flat 16” x 35” vertical glass panes set in metal framework. To
the south of Unit Four and paralleling it is a cold frame set in the ground.The greenhouse shows the self-sufficiency, thrift and responsibility that is typical of the city of Holland.

Address:  481 State Street Holland, MI