Name of Historic Site: Gerrit A. Bottje House
Description of Historic Site: Gerrit A. Bottje was born in Grand Haven in 1853 he was the son of Anthony Bottje who was a native of Groningen, the Netherlands and immigrated to Grand Haven in 1853. At the age of 13 Gerrit entered the workforce working for his father in the dry goods trade. Not long after, Gerrit Bottje along with his partner John Dykstra ran the largest hardware business in the city of Grand Haven. The first hardware store was located on 108 Washington and then later moved to a much larger building that Bottje and John Juistema constructed in 1889 on 205 Washington. The hardware became one of the largest hardware stores in Grand Haven until Gerrit sold the business in 1918. Gerrit and his wife Elizabeth were very active in their community. Gerrit was one of the original incorporators of the Highland Park Association in 1886 and he was also a member of the fire department for over 30 years. Elizabeth was an organizer of the Ladies Aid Society of the Christian Reformed Church. The Gerrit A. Bottje House was a restrained Queen Anne built in 1889-1890. The family retained ownership of the house until 1949 when Chester and Betty Anderson purchased the home. The Gerrit A. Bottje house remains a private residence.
Address: 420 Clinton Grand Haven, MI (now a private home)