Name of Historic Site: First Reformed Church
Description of Historic Site: In early 1847 a group of Dutch families met in Goes, and organized themselves into a congregation. The congregation set sail in three ships bound for North America in search of religious freedom. They were led by the Reverend Cornelious Vander Meulen. The immigrates set roots in this forested area of Michigan and named it after their native providence Zeeland. In 1866 a wood frame structure, with fieldstone foundation was built on this site. The church was patterned after a church in Axel, Netherlands. Remnants of the original structure are still present in today’s First Reformed Church.
Phone Number: 616.772.9129
Address: 148 E. Central Ave. Zeeland, MI