Name of Historic Site: First Congregational Church
Description of Historic Site: January 11, 1860 — eight years before Saugatuck was incorporated as a village — area Congregational leaders met at Pine Grove schoolhouse and organized a church. During the summer of 1860, the congregation built a church on this site which has been incorporated in the present building. It was the first church built in the village. In 1861, Saugatuck citizens gathered here after learning about rebel firing on Fort Sumter and the outbreak of the Civil War.
Address: 296 Hoffman, Saugatuck, MI