Felt Mansion

The Felt Mansion – photo credit:  Ken Cook Photography

Chicago inventor and businessman Dorr Felt built the Felt Mansion as a summer home for his wife, Agnes. Felt held numerous patents, most notably for the Comptometer, the first machine to do complex calculations. In 1919, Felt purchased more than 750 acres of land here and named it Shore Acres Farm. The Felt Mansion, designed by Frank P. Allen and Son of Grand Rapids, was completed in 1928. Agnes Felt died two months after the house was finished, and Dorr died two years later. The Felt’s daughters owned the estate until 1949 when they sold it to a Augustinian order of the Catholic Church.The estate became the St. Augustine Catholic Seminary preparatory school in 1949. The mansion served as a chapel and housed priests and students. In 1962 the Augustinian order built a school and leased the house to cloistered nuns. The State of Michigan bought the property in 1977, using the mansion as a state police post and converting the school into the Saugatuck Dunes Correctional Facility. In 1995 the state sold fort-four acres, including the house and prison buildings, to Laketown Township.  The Friends of Felt Estate formed in 2002 and began restoring the house and grounds. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.  Today, the mansion is open for private guided and self-guided tours.  See the website for more information.

Websitehttp://www.feltmansion.org

Phone:  616.335.8982

Physical Address:  6597 138th Avenue, Holland, MI 49423