Name of Historic Site: Dutcher Lodge (Douglas City Hall
Description of Historic Site: Douglas started out as two communities separated by Center Street. Johnathan Wade platted Dudleyville, named after his brother Dudley Wade, on the South Side of Center in 1860. In 1861, William Dutcher platted the town of Douglas on the North Side of Center and named it for his hometown on the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea. Both towns were incorporated into one and named the Village of Douglas in 1870. William Dutcher’s son Thomas was a prosperous lumbermill owner and he built the town’s first Masonic Hall, used by Douglas, Fennville, and Saugatuck, and named it Dutcher Lodge No. 193. The building burned in 1870. In 1875, the western portion of Dutcher Lodge was constructed. Lodge members used the upper portion of the building while the bottom portion was used by the government and civic meetings. The eastern half of the building, was built in 1902. The new addition became known as the village hall. The fire department housed their fire engine in the lower level until 1969. Dutcher Lodge is a rare example of a Masonic Hall still being used a century later serving as the city hall for City of the Village of Douglas.
Address: 86 Center St., Douglas, MI