Name of Historic Site: Dr. Arend Vander Veen House
Description of Historic Site: Dr. Arend Vander Veen immigrated to the United States in 1847 and studied medicine at Hope College. When the Civil War started he was called into the Union army. Since Dr. Vander Veen had extensive knowledge of medicine he was quickly put to use on the battlefield as a surgeon and was deemed the “boy surgeon.” After the war, Dr. Vander Veen returned to Grand Haven where he set up his practice in this 3-story home. If an emergency arose while he was away, his wife Kate would go to the rooftop tower and put candles in the windows. The candle light could be seen anywhere in town.
Address: 508 Washington Avenue, Grand Haven, MI (Privately owned)