Name of Historic Site: Douglas Union School
Description of Historic Site: The Douglas Union School is one of the oldest surviving multi-classroom school buildings. In the ever-growing villages of Douglas and Dudleyville, the school house was built in 1866. It combined Saugatuck Township District No. 3 and 4 to form Union District No. 3. One male and one female teacher taught 129 pupils its first school year 1866-87. The school served the community until it was closed in 1957 because a new school was built. The bell, made by the Buckeye Bell Foundry of Cincinnati, was relocated to the new elementary school. In the 1960s, the four classrooms were converted into apartments. This preserved the building and the surrounding grounds for the next several decades. In 2006, the owner of the building approached the Saugatuck Historical Society about her desire to stop using the building for rentals, but still preserve the building. With an enormous fundraising the historical society transformed the site into the Old School House. It is used for historical artifacts and educational events.
Phone Number: 269.857.5751
Address: 130 Center St., Douglas, MI