Name of Historic Site: Central Schools Informational Site
Description of Historic Site: The first of 3 Central Schools was built on this site in 1871. The Grand Haven Tribune was quoted as saying, “finest in the state” and “the pride of every citizen in Grand Haven.” In May 1901 the school burned down of a suspected arson. The following year a new school was erected and housed over 600 students grades Kindergarten to twelfth. In 1963 Central school was lost to another fire. The bell from the school was salvaged, but unusable. The present day elementary school was opened the following year. The local Methodist church donated its old church bell in 1965, so the school could carry on the tradition of ringing a school bell to call the children to class.
Address: 106 S. 6th Street Grand Haven, MI 49416