Name of Historic Site: Black Lake Indian Village/Waukazoo Woods Michigan Historic Site Informational Designation
Description of Historic Site: This was the site of a band of Ottawa Indians who lived on the shores of Black Lake now called Lake Macatawa. The village was lead by Chief Waukazoo who was known as a prophet to his people and as an orator from the local settlers. June 1, 1849, The Waukazoo Tribe moved to the Grand Traverse Bay area and founded Waukazooville which was annexed by Northport in 1852.
Address: Waukazoo Dr. North shore of Lake Macatawa