Name of Historic Site: Benjamin Van Raalte House
Description of Historic Site: Over 140 years ago, Holland’s founding father Albertus Van Raalte bought land from the federal government for $2.32/acre. Shortly after the Civil War the barns were built, and work on the house started in 1872. The land remained in the family until 1983 when the City of Holland bought it from Albertus’ granddaughter. From 1991 – 1999, the 160 acres were turned into a park. The house was maintained by John and Judy Madison until 2003. In 2004, the City of Holland made some improvements to the house and is now used as classrooms for DeGraaf Nature Center programs.
Phone Number: 616.928.2450
Address: 1076 E 16th St. Holland, MI