Name of Historic Site: Allegan Road Commemorative Designation
Description of Historic Site: When Allegan was organized there was only one road from the interior to Lake Michigan. It followed an established Native American trail along the Kalamazoo River. In 1838, Ralph Mann of Connecticut was supervising improvements in the town of Richmond. He and two men widened the trail eight miles from Richmond to Allegan. In the 1840s, stagecoaches traveled the road when river conditions prohibited boat travel. The Allegan Road provided a vital link between the county seat and the lake.
Address: River Bluff Park, East of US-31 overpass