Description of Historic Site: Formally the Delano House Bed and Breakfast our history of this marvelous house starts out in 1836 when David Doane Davis and his wife Hannah built the house. Davis was a carpenter by trade and build many of the buildings in Allegan. The couple became two of the pioneers of Allegan being energetic the couple were highly successful in accumulating land. Their first house was built were downtown Allegan is today. Being a very devout Baptist Hannah upon her death left the home and estate estimated at $60,000 to the First Baptist Church. The church used it as a parsonage until 1884 when they sold the house to Horace B Peck the owner of City Bank of Allegan. Mr. Peck then sold the home to Mr. Chaddock who ran a small bank in Allegan until 1877 or 1878 along with the closer of his bank he also had to sell all of his property which left him penniless he sold the home to Hiram and Viola DeLano in 1898. The Delano’s then sold the home to their son Earl the family who owned Allegan State Savings Bank sold the house back in forth for some time to prove that their bank was well run. After the death of Hiram in 1921 and some legal battles the house was finally retained by Earl Delano and his wife Mignon (daughter of Horance D. Moore) until Mignon’s death in 1987. In 1987 the Ashley family bought the home and ran it as a bed and breakfast until 1994, they closed the inn and sold it to Scott and Karen Ehrich. The Ehrichs completed renovations, restoring the home to it’s original glory. Then in 2013 Scott sold the inn to Marcia and Kent Neigebauer who kept the house running as a bed and breakfast even purchasing the house next door. The Neigebouers closed the bed and breakfast permanently in 2017 and the house is now could be a private home.
Address: 302 Cutler St Allegan, MI