Description of Historic Site: The Clipson site has had many changes and functions. Built in 1865 it started its history as an Ice House for the Clipson Brewery which was situated in the back at the bottom of the hill. Following it being an ice house it was also a tannery, Door and Sash Company, a Barrel Stave Mill owned by Francis B. Stockbridge and O.R. Johnson, boat building factory owned by the Charles and Henry Bird Family, a boarding house owned by Jacoba Cappon second wife of Isaac Cappon the first mayor of Holland, and in 1922 it opened as the Twin Gables Inn. Originally the hotel was halfway on the street, front lawn, and driveway because Blue Star Hwy. didn’t exist then. When the state decided to build a highway in 1936 they also extended Lake Street to meet the highway, so the house was moved to its present location. The house remained a hotel for several years though under different ownership the longest owner being Jack Janush who owned it almost forty years. In 1982 the Simcik’s bought the house after sitting unused for fifteen years the Simck’s restored the building and made it a bed and breakfast. The inn was very successful through the late 2000s unfortunately the building fell into disrepair and was vacant for three years. In 2013 Tim and Al Heminger bought the hotel and with a vision of having a boutique hotel and restaurant started renovations of the hotel and in October 2016 opened for business as the Hotel Saugatuck.
Address: 900 Lake St Saugatuck, MI